Log in / Register
You are here:
If you claim tax credits, don't forget
that you need to renew them by 31 July or the payments could
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has issued top tips for claimants
to help people who need to renew their tax credits:
1. If you don't get your pack by 30 June, contact the Tax Credit
2. Renew your tax credits claim as quickly as possible. The
sooner you do, the sooner HMRC’s Tax Credit Office can work out
your payments for the coming tax year.
3. You only need to contact HMRC if you receive an Annual
Declaration form as well as an Annual Review notice.
4. You don't need to contact HMRC if you receive only an Annual
Review notice (as your claim will be renewed automatically), unless
your personal circumstances have changed.
5. Check all the information in the renewal pack, making sure
all the changes reported in the last year are included. If anything
isn’t right, contact the Tax Credit Office.
6. Report any changes – including bank details – by calling the
Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900, or in writing.
7. If you contact the helpline, have handy: your National
Insurance number; your password, if you have one; your renewal
pack; details of any new changes in circumstances; the amount of
your household’s total income for the last tax year.
8. You should follow the instructions on your form to confirm
your claim for last year even if your circumstances have changed
and you are no longer eligible for the current year.
See the HMRC information on renewing your tax credits
Read our information sheets on Working
Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit
HMRC press release (link opens in a new window)
Turn2us is part of Elizabeth Finn Care, a national charity registered in England and Wales: 207812; and Scotland: SC040987.
Hosted and supported by Positive Technology
Visit the Elizabeth Finn Care website