Skip to navigation Skip to content turn2us logoTurn2us - to access benefits & grants.
Search this site

You are here:

Education costs

Who is this section for?

Those in school, further or higher education

What does it include?

Information about the help that is available for those in education, who is eligible, how much you can get and how to apply.

If you have dependent children 16 or under, see also Expecting or bringing up a child. If your children are 16-25 see also Young people.

How to use this section

The left-hand navigation bar gives you a comprehensive list of the contents of this section. Click on the links to go to each page.  Some key benefits are also are described in the boxes below.

  • Information on help for people who have school age childrenSchool age

    If you are on a low income and responsible for school age children, you may be able to get help with: free school meals; costs of travel to school; school clothing

  • Information on Education Maintenance AllowanceEducation Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

    If you are 16-19 years and have left or are about to leave compulsory education, you might get EMA if you are still studying.

  • Information on student grants and loansStudent grants and loans

    Student grants and loans usually depend on your family's financial circumstances. Find out more about how they work and whether you are eligible.

  • Information on benefit rules for studentsStudents and benefits

    Entitlement to benefits when you are a student usually depends on other circumstances such as being a lone parent or having a disability.

  • Useful links section about EducationUseful Links

    Links to other organisations that can provide further information and advice on education issues.

Turn2us Grants Search

Search for charitable funds and grants using our grant search tool.

Find grants

Facebook (opens in a new window) Twitter (opens in a new window) YouTube (opens in a new window) Nominet Award - Doing Good Online Highly Commended