Skip to navigation Skip to content turn2us logoTurn2us - to access benefits & grants.
Search this site

You are here:

Statutory Paternity Pay

Key information

If you are a working father, or the partner of a woman having a child (including a same-sex partner), you may be able to get Statutory Paternity Pay (SPP).  

Applies to: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Age rules: There are no specific age rules

Type of benefit: Non means tested

Taxable: Yes

Administered by: Your employer



You can read through this information sheet, or go directly to the sections you want to read by clicking on these links:

Who does it help?

To get SPP, you must have been working for the same employer without a break for at least 26 weeks by the 15th week before the baby is due. You must also carry on working for that employer without a break up to the date the child is born or placed with you for adoption.

You must also be earning an average of at least £111 a week before tax (£112 from April 2015). 

If your partner doesn't use up all their statutory maternity or adoption leave, and goes back to work, you may be able to take the remainder of their leave to look after your child. You would be paid the remainder of the statutory pay or maternity allowance that they would have been entitled to.

Back to top

How much does it pay?

SPP is £138.18 (£139.58 from April 2015) or 90% of your average weekly earnings if this is less.

SPP is a payment made by your employer to you in the same way and at the same time as your normal wages.

SPP is paid for one or two weeks during your paternity leave.

Back to top

How do I make a claim?

To claim SPP, you must tell your employer when you intend to take leave by the 15th week before your baby is due.

Back to top

What documents do I need?

When you tell your employer that you intend to take paternity leave, they might ask you for self-certificate form SC3. This confirms you have the right to SPP. You can download form SC3 (PDF file size 68kb link opens in a new window)

Back to top

Challenging decisions

If you disagree with a SPP decision made by your employer, you can contact HM Revenue and Customs Statutory Payments Disputes Team. This may affect your job and your relationship with your employer so you may want to seek specialist advice on this matter first.

Further information on Challenges and complaints

Back to top

Change of circumstance

You must notify your employer of any change in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to this benefit.

Back to top

Additional Statutory Paternity Pay (Additional SPP)

You may be able to qualify for Additional SPP if your partner meets certain conditions. For qualifying details, see the Gov.UK Shared Paternity Leave and Pay eligibility information (link opens in a new window).

Shared Parental Leave and Pay

From 5 April 2015, Shared Parental Leave and Pay replaces Additional Paternity Leave entitlement.

You may be eligible for Shared Parental Leave and Pay if your baby is due or placed for adoption on or after 5 April 2015.

See the Turn2us Shared Parental Leave and Pay guide for further details.

Last updated: 8 April 2015

Facebook (opens in a new window) Twitter (opens in a new window) YouTube (opens in a new window) Nominet Award - Doing Good Online Highly Commended