Skip to navigation Skip to content turn2us logoTurn2us - to access benefits & grants.
Search this site

You are here:

Disability Living Allowance - claiming for children

Key information

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is money for children who have care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around). 

Applies to: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Age rules: Your child must be under the age of 16. For the low rate mobility component they must be aged over five, and for the high rate mobility component they must be aged over 3.

If you are an adult with care or mobility needs, see Personal Independence Payment if you live in England, Scotland or Wales, and Disability Living Allowance if you live in Northern Ireland.

Type of benefit: Non means tested

Taxable: No

Administered by: Disability and Carers Service



You can read through this information sheet, or go directly to the sections you want to read by clicking on these links:

Who does it help?

If your child has extra care and/or mobility needs as a result of a disability, you could get DLA for them:

Care needs

Your child has care needs if they need help with ‘bodily functions’, for example, eating, washing, getting dressed and going to the toilet. These care needs can also include help which allows your child to take part in social activities. Your child has to need more care and attention than other children of the same age. However, this extra condition only applies if your child is under 16 when their Disability Living Allowance starts. It no longer applies when the child reaches the age of 16.

Mobility needs

Your child has mobility needs if they cannot walk outdoors or go on an unfamiliar route without guidance or supervision from someone else. For example, this might apply if your child is blind, is unable to walk or has a lot of difficulty walking.  Your child may also be treated as having mobility needs if they have severe learning difficulties or severe behavioural problems.

You cannot claim the mobility part of DLA before your child reaches the age of three (for the higher rate) or five (for the lower rate).

Back to top

How much does it pay?

There are two parts of DLA. One is the care part if your child has care needs. The other is the mobility part if they have mobility problems. You can get either or both.

Care component

This is paid at one of three different weekly rates depending on how much care is needed:

Higher - £81.30 (£82.30 from April 2015)

Middle - £54.45 (£55.10 from April 2015)

Lower - £21.55 (£21.80 from April 2015)

Mobility component

This is paid at one of two different weekly rates, depending on how difficult it is for you to get around:

Higher - £56.75 (£57.45 from April 2015)

Lower - £21.55 (£21.80 from April 2015)

If you receive DLA you also qualify for a Christmas Bonus each year. This is usually £10. You do not need to make a claim for the bonus it is paid automatically. It does not affect any other benefits you might get.

If your child gets DLA, you might qualify for Carer’s Allowance and for help from the Motability scheme.

Back to top

How do I make a claim?

Paper Claim

Phone the Disability Living Allowance helpline for a claim form:

Telephone 0345 712 3456

Textphone 0345 722 4433

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Or you can download a claim form from the Gov.UK website (link opens in a new window)

In Northern Ireland

Phone the Disability Living Allowance helpline for a claim form:

Telephone 0345 712 3456

Textphone 0345 722 4433

Phone the Disability and Carer’s Service for a claim form:

Telephone: 028 9090 6182
Textphone: 0800 24 37 87

Download a claim form from the NI Direct website (link opens in a new window)

Back to top

What documents will I need?

You must give your national insurance number and evidence of who you are, for example, a driving licence or birth certificate. 

Part of the form must be filled in by someone who knows about your child's disability. This could be a friend, relative or carer.

Back to top

Can it be backdated?

A claim for DLA cannot be backdated. The date of your claim will be the date you call and ask for a claim form as long as you complete and return it in the time given. If you download a claim it will be the date your completed claim form is received.

Back to top

Challenging decisions

If you disagree with the decision made on your child's benefit claim you can ask for a written statement of reasons. If you still believe the decision is wrong, for example due to incorrect information being used, you can ask for it to be looked at again, and/or appeal.

The time limits are strict, you will usually be given one month to dispute a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly.

Further information on Challenges and complaints

Back to top

Change of circumstance

You must report changes in circumstance which might affect your child's entitlement to this benefit

Back to top

Help to buy or lease a car (Motability)

There is a scheme called Motability available to the parents of children over three year's old who are getting the higher rate mobility part of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

A contract hire scheme for powered wheelchairs or scooters is also offered through Motability.

You usually have to pay a deposit but might get help to pay this.

The hire purchase or lease payments are met by your Disability Living Allowance high rate mobility component which is usually paid direct to Motability.

If you lease the car, then insurance, breakdown cover, and repairs are included. Mileage up to a certain limit is included in the price but after that you have to pay per mile you drive.

If you cannot drive, or prefer not to drive, you can name up to two other people as drivers.

For more information, see the Motability website (link opens in a new window) or phone: 0845 456 4566.

Back to top

Further help

  • The Benefits Enquiry helpline can give you general information about DLA. Call them on: 0800 882 200.
  • Once you have made a claim, you can get advice about DLA from the Disability Living Allowance helpline who should have access to your records. Call them on: 08457 123 456.   
  • Contact a Family, the national charity that helps families that have a child with disabilities, has useful information on Disability Living Allowance for children

Back to top

Benefit cap and Disability Living Allowance

If you, your partner or your child receive Disability Living Allowance, you will be exempt from the benefit cap.

Back to top

Last updated: 13 February 2015

Find an Adviser

If you need help with a claim use this tool to find an adviser in your area.

Find an Adviser

Facebook (opens in a new window) Twitter (opens in a new window) YouTube (opens in a new window) Nominet Award - Doing Good Online Highly Commended