You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Support our fuel poverty campaign

This November we will be launching a campaign to highlight fuel poverty.

As the winter approaches, many people will be concerned about their heating bills and how they’ll be able to afford to keep their homes warm through the colder weather. We know that this is a huge problem for many of the people we support and it can have severe effects on diet, health and well being.

This November, we’ll be launching our forth fuel poverty campaign to highlight the reality of this issue and raise awareness of the help available.

New research results to be released

The campaign will kick off with the release of our new research investigating if and how low income working households are struggling with energy costs. We’ll also be hosting an online auction of winter clothing items donated by a number of celebrities to create a strong talking point around the issue and spread the word to new audiences.

Use our online tools to find help

Through the campaign, we’ll be communicating that anyone who is struggling can use our services to see if they might be eligible for welfare benefits or charitable grants. We’ll also signpost to other help including schemes provided by energy suppliers.

Support our fuel poverty campaign

We’re asking charities and organisations to get involved in the campaign by sharing articles, supporting on social media or providing a guest article for our campaign blog, so that we can reach more people in need.

If you’d like to be involved, please email for further details.

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.