You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

The Grants Team are responsible for assessing  grant applications to the Elizabeth Finn Fund and other funds within Turn2us. 

The Elizabeth Finn Fund has been giving direct grants and support for over a century to people living in financial need who have a professional background and meet our grant giving criteria. The caseworkers also undertake reviews for our ongoing beneficiaries and act as a point of contact and support for those we assist.

Over the last four months several new people have joined the Grants Team:

Chris Halton – many of you will already have dealt with Chris as he joined us in July. Chris used to work for an Irish charity which operated across London, providing support to vulnerable people with an Irish heritage. He was a Community Health Worker and his role focused on improving individuals’ health outcomes in relation to their physical and mental health

Qurratulain Ali – who is happy to be called “Q” – joined the team in September.  Prior to working for Turn2us, she was a Caseworker for a regional home improvement agency.  As part of her job, she dealt with housing and benefits advice and home adaptations primarily for elderly or disabled people.

Karen Nelson - is a recent addition to our Caseworkers, having only just joined the charity in October. Her previous role was with a housing association in London where she was a Support Worker. She provided support and advocacy to tenants to help them maximise their income and also attended benefits tribunals to act as an advocate when necessary. Karen was also involved in a lot of support planning for individuals, producing targeted plans to help them make positive changes in their lives.

I am sure you will join me in welcoming them to Turn2us and wishing them all well in their new roles.

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.