You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Pete and his wife, who have three children, are both unable to work. Pete, because he was left disabled through a back injury he sustained in an industrial accident 23 years ago, and his wife because she has primary progressive multiple sclerosis and needs his support as a carer.

Struggling to make ends meet

The family was struggling to make ends meet and Pete was feeling confused about which benefits were available to him and his family after changes were made to the system. He decided that he needed help in checking what support was available to the family. A friend recommended Turn2us and gave him the helpline number.

Child Tax Credit

When Pete called the helpline, the adviser confirmed that the family were already claiming most of the welfare benefits they were entitled to. However, they were not receiving Child Tax Credit. Pete managed to make a successful claim for this benefit, which has increased the family’s income by £400 per month.

Additional income makes a huge difference

Pete says that this additional income is making a huge difference to the family and has eased the pressure in paying their bills.

He said:  

I’m 100% pleased with what Turn2us did for me. It's so nice to know that someone is there to turn to and know that they’re there if we need help again in the future.

Use the Turn2us online tools to find help

Anyone struggling to pay their bills or confused with the benefits changes can use our free Benefits Calculator and Grants Search to find out what help might be available.

Send us your stories

If you have a story, like Pete, about how Turn2us has helped you or a loved one, we'd love to hear from you.

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.