You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation (RMNEF)

Have your clients served in the merchant navy for at least six years? Do they have children who need help with educational needs? Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation (RMNEF) may be able to help.

Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation website

Helping charitable funds to extend their reach was one of the key reasons we developed our Turn2us Grants Search. One such charity is the Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation, an educational charity helping children of merchant navy seafarers, professional sea-going fishermen and Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) crew members with school fees, textbooks, computers and other educational needs.

This long established charity was set up in 1827 to provide board and lodging for children whose fathers had been killed serving at sea. It has changed the help it provides over time according to the needs of people working in the merchant navy.

Seafaring has been integral to the UK for centuries. Yet general awareness of the merchant navy and the important role it plays in British trade and commerce is now at an all-time low. Consequently, RMNEF has found it difficult to reach the several thousand children who could potentially benefit from its help. 

Find out more about the charity and how to apply by reading the Turn2us Grants Search Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation's profile or looking at the Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation website.

Source: Guardian article (25 August 2015): Wanted: 51,000 children to benefit from our charity by Charles Heron-Watson

Skip to content: