You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Investors in Volunteering re-accreditation

Turn2us will be applying for Investors in Volunteering re-accreditation this year. Find out what this means for our volunteers.

Investing in Volunteers Logo

Investing in Volunteers (IiV) is a national quality standard for the involvement of volunteers which is administered by the National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO).  It outlines what a 'Volunteer Involving Organisation' should be doing to reach a certain standard in volunteer management and is assessed on four areas:

  • Planning for volunteer development
  • Recruiting volunteers
  • Selecting and matching volunteers
  • Supporting and retaining volunteers

These areas are underpinned by nine indicators (measures):

  1. The basis for volunteer involvement
  2. How the organisation resources volunteering
  3. Diversity in volunteering
  4. The development of volunteer roles
  5. Steps taken to protect volunteers
  6. Fair recruitment procedures
  7. Volunteer induction
  8. Volunteer support and supervision needs
  9. Recognition of volunteer contributions.

Why is Investors in Volunteers (IiV) important?

Investors in Volunteers is an important quality mark which demonstrates to potential funders or service commissioners that our volunteering programme has attained a national level of good practices with regard to the involvement and management of volunteers. It can also increase volunteers’ motivations, enhance their experience and encourage new volunteers to apply to support our work. 

The standard makes sure clear policies and procedures are in place to support individuals throughout their volunteering experience. It also enables Turn2us to publicly demonstrate our commitment to volunteering and effective volunteering management.


During April, selected volunteers will be contacted to make arrangements for their interviews with the Assessor. Some of these will be conducted as individual telephone interviews and some in a face-to-face group setting. 

Participation in this process is not mandatory so if you would prefer not to be involved, please contact Lynne Regan by 11 April so your name can be removed from the list which will be sent to the Assessor. You can email Lynne or call her on 020 8834 9274.

Your feedback is really important to us, so thank you in advance for being part of this process and helping us to retain our accreditation. More information will be sent out later this year as to the outcome of this assessment.

Date of publication: 31 March 2016

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.