You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Volunteers' Week - 1-12 June 2016

What's happening at Turn2us during Volunteers' Week?


Following on from feedback in our Visitor Survey last year, we have decided not to hold a formal event to recognise and thank our volunteers this year. However, we do want to acknowledge the time and dedication that you all give to our work.

This will be done in two ways.

Informal social tea party

We will invite you to attend an informal social tea party in your region so that we, as a charity, can personally express our thanks for everything you do.

We plan to use interesting public venues such as tea rooms, where there is no room hire involved, but where we can reserve places. This means that we can be more flexible about locations and try to be as responsive as possible to demand from volunteers who would like to attend. 

We do hope you will attend, so you can meet other local volunteers as well as some of our staff and celebrate the work we do together as a charity.

Display of stories

At Turn2us Head Office, we will create a display of your stories about being a volunteer with your photo and a short interview (conducted over the telephone by Joseph), providing details about:

  • Why you became a Visitor

  • Your experience of conducting a visit

  • What you would say to a potential volunteer for us as to why they should become one of our Visitors.

From 1st – 9th June, one volunteer's story will be added to the display on each day during this period so that staff and visitors to our Head Office can read about the amazing work of our volunteers. Your stories, with your permission, will also be featured on the volunteering pages of our website and on social media.

Tell us your story or attend an event

If you would be happy to be featured as one of our volunteers or are interested in attending an event, please or call him on 0208 834 9250.

Date of publication: 31 March 2016

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.