You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Turn2us secures new major funding

Turn2us has secured funding from Oak Foundation to help more people in financial need

Turn2us has secured funding from Oak Foundation to deliver a project to enable the charity to assist more people in financial hardship. Oak Foundation has committed £333k over a three year period.

Alison Taylor, Director of Turn2us Operations, said, “We are delighted to receive this support from Oak Foundation. It will enable us to expand our much needed helpline services to target those hard-to-reach groups who are not aware of the benefits and grants available to them and are struggling financially to cover everyday costs. It will also enable us to share a wealth of up-to-date analysis and insight from our helpline and online services - which are used by over four million people a year - with other organisations to help inform policy and campaigning work to improve services for people living in poverty. With Oak’s support, we can directly provide timely and targeted support to more people and also assist the work of other organisations who are campaigning to help people living in poverty.”

The project will start in April 2017. If you would like any additional information, please contact Alison Taylor:

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.