You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.


Benefit changes

Removing Housing Benefit Family Premium

Housing Benefit family premium will be withdrawn for new claims from 1 May 2016. See Summer Budget 2015 page .

Housing Benefit and Pension Credit: limiting temporary absence

The government will delay the ending of the payments of  Housing Benefit and Pension Credit to claimants who travel outside of Great Britain for longer than four weeks (with no gap). This will now come into force in May 2016.( rather than April) See Budget March 2016 guide

Benefit Cap (Northern Ireland)

The Benefit Cap will be introduced in Northern Ireland from 31 May 2016. Potentially affected households will be contacted in advance by letter.

Read our Benefit Cap information pages

In the news

A record number of people affected by Council Tax arrears

Councils are too quick to pass debt to bailiffs, say StepChange Debt Charity and Money Advice Trust.

Universal Credit failing low-income families

A new report by the Resolution Foundation claims the Universal Credit roll out will make millions of families worse off.

Report suggests more than 1.25 million destitute

Joseph Rowntree Foundation research reveals 668,000 households living in severe poverty are unable to afford basic essentials.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) still causing misery for thousands

Citizens Advice reveals that Personal Independence Payment is still the most common issues people need support with.

Food bank use at record high

The Trussell Trust’s report shows that benefit changes and delays remain the biggest cause of foodbank use, accounting for 42% of all referrals (28% benefit delay and 14% changes). Sanctions also had an impact on those receiving Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Personal Independence Payments (PIP).


The threat of job losses has been much in the news in the past few weeks, with retailers BHS and Austin Reed going into administration, the Port Talbot steel crisis in Wales and reports of redundancies looming in some of the major banks.

If you or your clients have lost their jobs or are facing the possibility of redundancy, charitable funds listed on our Grants Search may be able to help you, especially those that help people from particular occupations or industries. As well as financial help, many provide other support, such as counselling and training resources, to help you at an be a very unsettling, difficult time.

Examples include:

You can use our Grants Search to look for charitable funds that may be able to help you, based on your circumstances, background, job history and needs.

See also our benefits information on Facing redundancy

Date of publication: May 2016