You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Grants update April 2016

Find out which charities the Turn2us Grants Spotlight is on this month and read other news about charitable grants and funds


Grants Spotlight

This month's Grants Spotlight is on two charities, The Foundations Independent Living Trust and Hospitality Action.

The Foundations Independent Living Trust

The Foundations Independent Living Trust  (FILT), the charitable arm of Foundations – the national body for home improvement agencies in England,  helps help older and vulnerable people live with dignity in their own homes. They do this by operating funds which enable local home improvement agencies (HIAs) to provide a range of support including repairs and improvements to people’s homes.

Find out more about Foundations Independent Living Trust (FILT)

Hospitality Action

Hospitality Action is the trade charity offering a crucial lifeline to people of all ages, working and retired, from the hospitality industry. Whether they are approached by a chef, housekeeper, school cook or waiter, Hospitality Action will endeavour to support, whatever the difficulty.

Find out more about Hospitality Action

Family Fund Grants 2016/17

A recent Family Fund e-newsletter said that funding for the charity's grants for families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales for 2016/17 has been confirmed.

Information for those working with families in Wales

The way Family Fund works in Wales is changing. Following changes to the charity's funding, from 1 April it will have to prioritise families who have not previously received a Family Fund grant. This means that, with the exception of urgent grants for hospital visiting costs, families will not be able to re-apply for funding as they might have previously expected.
You can read more about the new funding arrangements and what they mean for families on the Family Fund website

Read the Family Fund's profile on the Turn2us Grants Search

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.