You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Benefits and Grants Update Summer 2016

Read the latest news about benefits, grants and related news for Summer 2016

Young girl with Down's Syndrome



Changes to the Benefit Cap

Read the article on Changes to the Benefit Cap in this enewsletter for more information.

Universal Credit

Read our news article New Universal Credit delay announced for the latest news on this benefit.


Grants Spotlight: Licensed Trade Charity Support & Care

Licensed Trade Charity was established by people in the licensed drinks trade, for those in the trade experiencing personal issues.

Today, the charity continues to offer help and guidance and, where necessary, financial assistance to help people working in pubs, bars and breweries, and their families, get back on their feet and on with their lives.

Find out more about Licensed Trade Charity Support & Care

Fashion & Textile Children's Charity celebrates 160 years

The Fashion & Textile Children's Trust (FTCT) celebrated 160 years of supporting the children of employees in UK fashion and textiles industry with an evening reception, hosted by Lord Stone of Blackheath, at The House of Lords on 16 June. Plans were revealed to double the number of children it helps.

Read more about Fashion & Textile Children's Trust

In the news

Useful information

How will you be affected by Brexit?

On 23 June, the UK voted for Britain to leave the European Union (this is called Brexit by some people). This decision will have a huge impact on all of our lives and much has already been said about what changes we might see in the coming weeks and months.

For those struggling financially, any level of uncertainty can be worrying. Turn2us will continue to keep you updated on any changes that might affect welfare benefits or any other support. We have compiled some frequently asked questions about the result of the referendum and what we know so far.

Read our Brexit Frequently Asked Questions article

Home Heat Helpline closes

The Home Heat Helpline closed at the end of June. This service, funded by the energy industry, offered free help and advice to people worried about their energy bills or keeping warm in winter.

Similar advice is available from the Citizens Advice Consumer Service and the Energy Saving Advice Service (ESAS).

Read the Turn2us Energy Schemes information

Read the Turn2us Grants for Energy Efficiency pages

Read the Turn2us Fuel Poverty section

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.