You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Turn2us Benefits and Grants Update February-March 2016

Read the latest news about Benefits, Charitable Funds, Grants and the Turn2us Grants Search






Supporting Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment claimants

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has set up an online group called the ‘DLA is Ending Communication Network’ to help organisations support people currently claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

This group provides:

  • Access to information and products about DLA ending and Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • Opportunity to share knowledge

  • Option to feed back to DWP

Please contact Claire Howard to request membership. The online group is hosted on the Knowledge Hub website.

DWP is writing to DLA claimants, in receipt of an indefinite or lifetime award, who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over to tell them their DLA is ending. The letter will invite them to claim PIP and explain what to do next.

DWP has also set up a PIP stakeholder toolkit. This provides information for organisations about PIP and includes a handbook, PIP forms and a quick guide.

Read the Turn2us Personal Independence Payment (PIP) information guide


Flooding and charitable funds

In recent months the UK has had more than its fair share of floods with Storms Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry and Imogen causing havoc. December was the wettest since records began for Scotland and Wales, the fourth-wettest for Northern Ireland and the second-wettest overall for the UK.

If you or your clients have been affected by the floods, help may be available to you from charitable funds listed on our Grants Search, depending on your background, circumstances and needs. Some of these, that help occupations or groups of people who are particularly affected, have set up particular services for potential beneficiaries who are affected by flooding. These include GroceryAid, Retail Trust and Foundations Independent Living Fund (FILT).

Read the Turn2us news article: Charitable funds and people affected by flooding

Grants Spotlight: Caudwell Children

This month's Grants Spotlight is on Caudwell Children, a national charity that provides family support services, equipment, treatment and therapies for disabled children and their families across the UK. There is also an Enable Sport programme for talented disabled athletes and a Destination Dreams holiday for children with life threatening conditions.

Read more about Caudwell Children

Young Carers: Fashion & Textiles Children's Trust (FTCT)

Young Carers Awareness Day - a national day of recognition for the 700,000 young carers in the UK who provide care and support to family and friends - was held on 28 January.

Carers are an important aspect of Turn2us's work and we marked this day by highlighting the needs of young carers and the help that may be available to them through charitable funds. We also told the story of Jada, 15, who cares for her mother Maya, and how she was helped with a grant from the Fashion & Textiles Children's Trust.

Read Jada and Maya's story
Read Turn2us's news article about help for young carers
Browse the Turn2us Your Situation: Carers information

Coronavirus Information

My child's school is closing due to the coronavirus outbreak. What can I do?

The government has announced that schools will be closing for the majority of students from 20 March 2020.

Children in the following groups will still be able to go to school if their parents choose to send them:

  • The children of key workers
  • Children receiving support from social services
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs​)
  • Young carers

If you need to take time off work to care for your children, you should check your employment rights on the ACAS website.

What if I am well but my employer tells me not to work because of the coronavirus outbreak?

This will depend on your contract and is an employment law issue. You may be able to get advice from ACAS on this. You will not be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

What if I have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and don’t want to go to work and risk infecting my colleagues and customers?

You will only be able to get special help under the coronavirus rules if you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS advice. You can find the current NHS coronavirus advice on the NHS website

What if I am not getting any customers in my self-employed business because of the coronavirus?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, but you will not be entitled to any special support because of the coronavirus outbreak. You may have the minimum income floor applied to your claim, or you may be required to look for full time-employment.

I’m on a zero-hours contract, will I get paid if I’m told to self isolate?

If you are self-isolating in accordance with NHS guidance and you usually earn at least £120 per week, you should get Statutory Sick Pay even if you are on a zero hours contract.

What if I am homeless with no income so can’t self-isolate and need funds for accommodation?

The government has not published any guidance for what you should do if you are homeless and develop coronavirus symptoms. It would be best to contact your local authority for advice. You should do so by telephone if at all possible.