You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit and Universal Support

  • 01/10/2018

This article is over a year old

Help with claiming and managing Universal Credit

job centre plus

People claiming Universal Credit can get help through Universal Support which enables them to make a claim and manage ongoing payments.

Universal Support is delivered by individual local authorities, funded by grants from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

From April 2019, Citizens Advice will take on the responsibility for delivering a strengthened Universal Support service, with the aim of ensuring a consistent and streamlined service for new claimants across the country.

What is Universal Support?

Universal Support is delivered in different ways based on the support you need and where you live.

There are two main parts:

  • Assisted Digital Support – help with using a computer to make or maintain your claim
  • Personal Budgeting Support – help to manage your monthly Universal Credit payment and possible advice on your finances.

How do I get Universal Support?

To get Universal Support, you can:

  • Ask your Work Coach or a member of staff at your local jobcentre
  • Ask your Work Coach using your Universal Credit online account if you have one

Your Work Coach or Case Manager will then be able to discuss your needs and arrange for you to get the support you need.

Find out more about Universal Credit.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page