You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is money for people who provide regular care to someone who has a disability.

1. What is Carer's Allowance?

Carer's Allowance (CA) is money for people who spend at least 35 hours a week providing regular care to someone who has a disability.

The person you care for must be getting a relevant benefit because of their disability, which in some cases has to be paid at a certain rate.

CA is paid at £69.70 a week. The amount paid is usually increased each April.

You don’t have to be related to or live with the person you care for to get Carer’s Allowance.

You can qualify for Carer’s Allowance whether you are in or out of work. However, you must not earn more than £132 a week.

Carer’s Allowance does not depend on national insurance contributions and is not means-tested – in other words, it is not based on your personal income or savings – but earnings may affect your entitlement.

Carer’s Allowance usually counts in full as income when calculating your entitlement for means-tested benefits.

If you get Carer’s Allowance (or are entitled to it but do not get it because of Overlapping Benefit Rules), you will also get a Carer’s Premium/Additional amount included in your means-tested benefit (Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Pension Credit and Housing Benefit).

People living in Scotland who are receiving Carer's Allowance could also get an extra payment known as Carer's Allowance Supplement.

Applies to: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Age rules: You must be over 16

Type of benefit: Non means-tested (but you mustn't earn over £132 per week)

Taxable: Yes

Administered by: Carer’s Allowance Unit, Department for Work and Pensions

Reviewed: March 2022

2. Can I get Carer's Allowance?

You can get Carer's Allowance if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week.

The person you care for must be getting a benefit because of their disability, for example:

You do not need to be living with the person you are caring for.

If you are in paid work, you might still be able to get Carer's Allowance but you must not earn more than £132 in take home pay each week. However, certain expenses can be deducted from this.

It does not matter if you have savings as these will not be taken into account.

You do not have to have paid any national insurance contributions to get Carer's Allowance.

You do not qualify for Carer’s Allowance if you are in full-time education or if someone else is already claiming Carer’s Allowance for looking after the same person.

Before you make a claim for Carer's Allowance, you should check with the person you are caring for, as it may affect some of the benefits they receive if you are successful. For example, losing a Severe Disability Premium from their:

• Income Support
• income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
• Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
• Pension Credit
• Housing Benefit (England, Wales, Scotland) and Housing Benefit (Northern Ireland)

Updated: March 2022

3. How much Carer's Allowance will I get?

Carer's Allowance is money that you can spend as you want. The weekly rate is £69.70.

Even if you don't receive a payment of Carer's Allowance due to overlapping benefit rules, entitlement to it allows you to get an extra amount, called 'Carer's Premium or Addition', as part of other benefits, so you should still make a claim. Carer's Premiums/Additions can be added to or taken into account for:

If you receive Carer's Allowance, you also qualify for a Christmas Bonus each year (unless you get one with another benefit). This is usually £10. You do not need to make a claim for the bonus. It is paid automatically. It does not affect any other benefits you might get.

Benefit Cap

If you or your partner qualify for Carer's Allowance, you are exempt from the Benefit Cap. See our Benefit Cap guide for more details.

How will I be paid Carer’s Allowance?

Carer’s Allowance will be paid directly into your bank or building society account or through the Payment Exception Service if you are unable to open or manage one of these or a similar account.

You can choose to be paid either weekly in advance or every 4 or 13 weeks in arrears.

Carer’s Allowance and other benefits

Carers are one of the groups of people who can receive Income Support but people can no longer make new claims for Income Support.

Carer’s Allowance (after tax) counts in full as income when calculating your entitlement to other means-tested benefits.

In some cases, you may meet the conditions for both Carer’s Allowance and another benefit, such as State Retirement Pension or contributory Employment and Support Allowance. As these benefits 'overlap', you may not receive a payment of Carer’s Allowance, even though you would if it weren't for the other benefit you receive.

If the other benefit you receive is worth less than Carer’s Allowance, your other benefit can be 'topped up' to the current rate of Carer’s Allowance so you don't lose out. The rules about overlapping benefits are complicated and you may need to get advice about this from an expert benefits adviser.

Carer's Allowance Supplement

People living in Scotland, who are receiving Carer's Allowance could also get an extra payment known as Carer's Allowance Supplement.  

Carer's Allowance Supplement is £245.70 every six months and will be paid in two payments a year (in June and December 2022). 

There is no need to apply for Carer's Allowance Supplement. You will get this automatically if you get Carer's Allowance and live in Scotland. You will get a letter if you are entitled to Carer's Allowance Supplement to tell you about the payment and when you will get it. 

Carer's Allowance Supplement will not be taken into account as income when you are assessed for other benefits.

People who cannot get Carer's Allowance due to overlapping benefit rules will not qualify for Carer's Allowance Supplement. You can find out more information on the Carer's Allowance Supplement from the Scottish Government website.

Updated: April 2022

4. How do I claim Carer's Allowance?

If you are waiting to hear if the person you care for is getting a qualifying disability benefit, you should still make a claim.

England, Scotland and Wales

Online Claim

Claim online at the Gov.UK website

Paper Claim

Download a claim form from the Gov.UK website

Northern Ireland

Online claim

Claim online at the NIDirect website

Paper Claim

Phone the Disability and Carers Service for a claim form:

Telephone: 0800 587 0912
Textphone: 0800 012 1574

or download a form from the NIDirect website

What documents will I need to claim Carer’s Allowance?

You must send the following documents to support your claim:

  • If you are working – the payslip immediately before the period you want to claim from and any received since

  • If you are self employed – the most recent finalised accounts for your business

If you do not have this evidence, you should not delay claiming.

When will my Carer’s Allowance claim begin?

A Carer’s Allowance claim will begin from the date the claim form is received by the benefit office or submitted online.

A Carer’s Allowance claim can be backdated for up to three months before this date if you would have been entitled to it earlier. It does not matter why your claim is late. Request this when claiming.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.

Updated: December 2021

5. How do I challenge a Carer's Allowance decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your Carer's Allowance claim, for example due to incorrect information being used, you can ask for it to be looked at again known as a 'mandatory reconsideration'. If you still disagree with the further decision you can then appeal to an independent tribunal.

The time limits are strict, you will usually be given one month to dispute a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly.

Further information on Challenging Benefit Decisions 


Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. To find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with you can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser tool

Find an Adviser

Further Information Resources