You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Education Maintenance Allowance EMA - Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland - How do I claim?

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is a scheme for people studying or permanently resident in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The scheme is now closed in England.

How do I claim?

You usually apply for Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) in the country where you are studying.

However, if you live in Scotland or Wales and plan to study in England, you should apply for EMA in the country where you normally live.


In Wales, you can get an application form online or by calling the EMA Customer Services line. 

Post your completed application to: Wales Customer Services, PO Box 5596, Glasgow, G52 9BR.


In Scotland, you apply through your local council. Different councils have different forms and different processes. Check the EMA page of the My Gov Scot website

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland, you can get an application form online or by calling or emailing the EMA helpline.

What documents will I need?

Your parent or carer will need to send evidence of the household income for the relevant tax year, for example, their Tax Credit Award Notice (TC602) or P60.

You have to give details of your bank account when you apply for EMA. To open a bank account, you will need evidence of who you are, for example, a passport or driving licence.

Live in Scotland or Wales but plan to study in England

If you live in Scotland or Wales but plan to study in England, you can get EMA but you should apply in the country you normally live.

Further information

See also the Gov.UK information on Education Maintenance Allowance

Reviewed: March 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page