You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Help from the local council if you are a carer - What help is provided?

As a carer, you have the right to have your own needs assessed by your local council. This could be as part of the assessment of the person you are caring for or in your own right.

What help is provided?

Depending on your circumstances, needs and what is available where you live, services to help you in your role as a carer should be provided by your local council's:

  • Social services in England and Wales

  • The social work department in Scotland

  • The Health and Social Care Trusts in Northern Ireland.

This might include:

  • regular breaks from caring
  • equipment and adaptations to your home to make some caring tasks easier to manage
  • help with the housework.

The assessment will consider what your needs are and what help you need. Once you have been assessed, if services are required, they will draw up a care plan outlining what help you need and how this can be provided. Services may be provided by social services, voluntary organisations and/or private companies.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser