You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

National insurance contributions (NIC) - How do I pay national insurance contributions?

Find out more about National insurance contributions (NIC).

How do I pay national insurance contributions?

Class 1 (employees): Paid through your earnings. It is taken out of your gross wages by your employer who just pays you the net amount.

Class 2 (self-employed only): Since April 2015, Class 2 has been paid via self-assessment, so you will pay Class 2 at the same time as Class 4.  It will be due as part of the payment due on 31 January following the end of the tax year.  For example, Class 2 for 2017/18 will be due on 31 January 2019.  If your income is below the small profits threshold, no Class 2 will be due, though you can choose to pay voluntary contributions.  If you might have to rely on Class 2 contributions for entitlement to certain benefits, for example Maternity Allowance, you may need to pay Class2 NIC before the self-assessment deadline.  You should contact HMRC to find out how to do this.

Class 3 (voluntary): Paid normally by quarterly bill or monthly by Direct Debit or by making an annual lump sum payment.

Class 4 (self employed only on profits): Paid with the income tax on your profits through self assessment.


Reviewed: August 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool