You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Nationals of non-European Economic Area (EEA) countries - Partner not subject to immigration control

Non-EEA nationals will be subject to immigration rules and their right to benefits will be defined by their immigration status.

Partner not subject to immigration control

Specialist advice should be sought if you are a person subject to immigration control who has a partner who is not subject to immigration control.  Your partner may be able to claim some benefits either in their name or in some situations for you both.

Example: For Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit claims, as long as one member of the couple is not subject to public funds restrictions, neither will be considered to be.

However, advice should always be sought to ensure a benefit claim does not affect the status of the person subject to immigration control

Please note: This is a very complex area of the law so it is important that you seek specialist advice. You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser to help you further.

Last updated: 8 May 2015

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool