You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

1. What is Scottish Child Payment?

The Scottish Child Payment is a payment for families with children living in Scotland.

For the first roll out, starting from February 2021, it will only support families with children under the age of six.

There is no equivalent for England, Wales or Northern Ireland. 


2. Can I get Scottish Child Payment?

To be get Scottish Child Payment you have to:

Scottish Child Payment is being rolled out in stages based on the age of your youngest child. The first stage of applications will only be open to families with children who will be aged under 6 on 15 February 2021.

If it isn't clear who has main responsibility for the child, the Scottish Child Payment will go to the person who gets Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit, the child element of Universal Credit or the child premium of Pension Credit for the child.



3. How much Scottish Child Payment will I get?

You will get £10 per week per child under six who you are responsible for.

There is no limit to how many children you can get Scottish Child Payment for.

Scottish Child Payment will not have any effect on your other benefits.

4. How do I claim a Scottish Child Payment?

Early applications for Scottish Child Payment can be made from 9 November 2020. The first payments won't go out until 22 February 2021. The Scottish Government has opened applications early to give themselves enough time to deal with applications and to try to make sure they can make payments to as many people as possible once payments do begin. 

You can apply for the Scottish Child Payment online.

You can also apply by phone on 0800 182 2222. Calls to this number are free.


5. How do I challenge a Scottish Child Payment Decision?

Decisions on applications for Scottish Child Payment are not expected to go out until after 15 February 2021.

If you disagree with a decision on your claim, you can first ask Social Security Scotland to look at the decision again. This is called a 'redetermination'. 

You should be given information with your decision letter on how to ask for a redetermination. If you don't receive this information, you should speak to an adviser. (You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local one - click on the box at the side of this page). There is likely to be a deadline within which you need to ask for a redetermination. If you miss that deadline, you can still ask for a redetermination. However, you need to explain why your request is late.

If you still disagree with the decision after the redetermination, you can appeal to the First Tier Tribunal. You should receive an appeal form and instructions on how to appeal with the redetermination decision. If you don't, or if you aren't sure how to complete the form, speak to an adviser.