You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element - Can I get Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element?

Find out more about the Universal Credit housing costs element.

Can I get Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element?


If you are a tenant you have to be the person who is responsible for paying the rent to get help with your housing costs.

You will not usually qualify for help with housing costs if you:


If you are a homeowner you must not have any earned income. If you are making a claim as a couple, if either of you have any earned income, of any amount, you will not qualify for a housing costs element.

Single People Aged 18 to 21 Years Old

Single claimants aged 18 to 21, are not entitled to receive help with housing costs unless an exemption applies.  If you are a young person under 22, here are some of the situations where you can still qualify for help with housing costs:

  • You are responsible for a child or a qualifying young person; or
  • You earn income equal to or more than the monthly amount you would earn whilst working 16 hours per week at the National Minimum Wage; or
  • You receive the care component of disability living allowance at the middle or highest rate or the daily living component of personal independence payment; or
  • You were a care leaver before reaching the age of 18; or
  • You have been subject to, or threatened with, domestic violence by your partner, former partner, or a family member; or
  • You cannot live with your parents because they do not have a home in Great Britain or it is inappropriate for you to live with them for another reason; or
  • You cannot live with your parents due to a serious risk to your physical or mental health; or
  • You are claiming Universal Credit in a live service area; or
  • You have been receiving Universal Credit in a full digital service area since 31 March 2017; or
  • You are a Housing benefit claimant who moves into a Universal Credit full digital service area.

For a full list of exemptions visit the GOV.UK website.


Updated April 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool