You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Apply for a Grant - Help to apply for grants

Once you have found charitable funds that may be able to assist you, the next step is to make an enquiry to them. This guide explains the steps involved.

Help to apply for grants

A lot of people using Turn2us services ask if anyone can help them fill out grant application forms or what they do if they don't understand what a question on the form is asking them. This page explains what support might be available.

Check the guidance notes

If you need any help while filling in the forms, check any guidance notes the charity has given you. You could also check on the charity's website to see if there is any information about how to fill in the forms. There should also be information about the documents you need to include or refer to, such as bank statements.

Ask the charity

It is also worth asking the charitable funds you are applying to if they can give you any support, such as someone to help you complete the forms.

Some charitable funds have caseworkers or other support staff who can visit potential beneficiaries in their own home to offer support and assess their application for help.

Others have a grants department or enquiry line that you can contact if you are unsure how to fill in the application.

Ask an intermediary for help

Any advisers, support workers or health/social care professionals (also known as intermediaries) you have contact with may also be able to help you. Some charities will only accept grant applications through an intermediary.

Local charities

Your local Citizens Advice bureau may be help you with filling in forms or be able to advise about local services that can help.

Depending on your situation, local offices of the following charities may also be able to help you or give you information about what is available in your local area:

  • Age UK - if you are an older person

  • Mencap - if you have learning disabilities.

  • Mind - if you have mental health issues.

  • Health charities for particular conditions

  • Carers centres.

You can also use our Find an Adviser tool to find local advisers who may be able to advise you further  or help you to apply for grants..  

Advocacy Services*

An advocate is a person who speaks up for you and puts your case on your behalf if you have learning disabilities, mental health problems or need help for other reasons that make you vulnerable.

They are independent of social services and the NHS and are not part of your family or one of your friends.

Contact your local council to find out what is available in your area.

You may also find the following information resources useful:

*Definition from NHS UK Guide to Care and Support: Find an advocate (link above)

Updated: August 2018


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants