You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Nationals of non-European Economic Area (EEA) countries - Indefinite leave to remain

Non-EEA nationals will be subject to immigration rules and their right to benefits will be defined by their immigration status.

Indefinite leave to remain

Please note: This is a very complex area of the law so it is important that you seek specialist advice. You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser to help you further.


Non-EEA nationals with indefinite leave to remain (often called ‘settled status’) have no time limit and and usually no conditions on their right to stay in the UK. If this is your immigration status, you have broadly the same rights and entitlements to services as UK citizens and can apply for welfare benefits and tax credits.

The exception is if your right to remain was awarded as a result of another person formally agreeing to maintain and accommodate you. In this case, you will be excluded from some benefits for five years.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool