You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - Personal Independence Payment (PIP): Mobility and Travel Concessions

Find out more about Personal Independence Payments.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP): Mobility and Travel Concessions

Qualifying for PIP mobility component

There are two main mobility activities looked at when seeing if you qualify for the mobility component of PIP:

Planning and following a journey – this covers the difficulties experienced by people with learning difficulties, mental health problems or sensory impairment
Moving around – this covers the difficulties experienced by people with physical problems

A person who scores 8 or 10 points when their level of difficulty with these activities is assessed will be entitled to the standard rate of PIP mobility, and a person who scores 12 or more will be entitled to the enhanced rate. See the assessment criteria below.

PIP assessment criteria: mobility activities 
 Source: The Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) Regulations 2013 (link opens in a new window)

Enhanced rate mobility

Under PIP a person with physical problems moving around will only qualify for the enhanced rate mobility component if they can walk no more than 20 metres.

This is significantly different to the rules for DLA higher rate mobility component, which has no set maximum distance. To qualify for DLA higher mobility a person must be 'virtually unable to walk', and this takes account of speed of walking, manner of walking and whether walking causes severe discomfort.

The Department for Work and Pensions estimates that 428,000 fewer people will be entitled to the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP than are currently entitled to the higher rate mobility component of DLA.


On 1 February 2013, the government agreed to amend the proposed rules so that the assessment of PIP eligibility should take account of whether the claimant can not just complete an activity, such as walking 20 metres, but do this:

  • Safely

  • Reliably

  • Repeatedly, and

  • In a reasonable time period.

Travel concessions

There are a number of travel concessions available to a person who receives DLA higher rate mobility, and the government has been considering how entitlement to PIP mobility will bring entitlement to these.


Entitlement depends on you getting DLA higher rate mobility or PIP enhanced rate mobility.

For more information, see following information:

PIP on the Motability website (link opens in a new window)

Disability Rights UK: Motability support if you fail Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessment (link opens in a new window)

Car Tax

You can be exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty (car tax) for one vehicle if you receive PIP enhanced rate mobility or DLA higher rate mobility.

You can get a 50 per cent discount on car tax if you receive PIP standard rate mobility.

The vehicle must be registered in your name or your nominated driver’s name. It must only be used for your personal needs and can’t be used by your nominated driver for their own needs.

See the Gov.UK information on vehicles exempt from car tax (link opens in a new window)

Blue Badge for parking

In England if you receive PIP enhanced rate mobility or DLA higher rate mobility you will automatically be entitled to a Blue Badge from your local authority.

If you score eight points or more in the ‘Moving Around’ activity in the PIP assessment you will also be automatically entitled to a Blue Badge. A score of eight points is awarded to a person who cannot walk further than approximately 50 metres.

For more information, see the Gov.UK information on Personal Independence Payment and eligibility for a Blue Badge (link opens in a new window).

PIP: Northern Ireland

The Welfare Reform Bill has been passed in Northern Ireland but you can still currently claim Disability Living Allowance. PIP is expected to be introduced in Northern Ireland during the 2016/2017 financial year.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool