You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Carer's Credits - How do I claim Carer's Credits?

Find out more about Carer's Credits.

How do I claim Carer's Credits?

Normally you do not need to claim Carer's Credits – they will be awarded to you automatically due to your other benefit claims, e.g. Income Support or Carer’s Allowance.

However, if you are claiming because you are caring for a disabled person and you don't receive Income Support or Carer’s Allowance, you need to apply to using the Department for Work and Pensions’ Carer's Credit application form (link opens in a new window)

You must apply before the end of the tax year that follows the tax year in which you qualify for the credits. So if you qualify for credits for this tax year (April 6 2015 to April 5 2016) you must apply by April 5 2017.

What documents will I need to claim Carer’s Credits?

You must send a completed Carer's Credit Care Certificate (link opens in a new window) with your application for each person you care for. A health or social care professional must sign each completed certificate.

If you do not have this evidence, you should not delay claiming.

When will my Carer’s Credit claim begin?

The earliest your Carer’s Credit claim can begin is the start of the last full tax year. A tax year runs from April 6 one year to April 5 the following year. The last full tax year was 2014/2015.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this credit.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool