You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Child Benefit - How do I challenge a Child Benefit decision?

Find out more about Child Benefit.

How do I challenge a Child Benefit decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your child benefit claim you can ask HMRC to look at the decision again- this is called a 'mandatory reconsideration'.  If you still think the decision is wrong you can appeal to an independent tribunal.

The time limits are strict, you will usually be given one month to dispute a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly. Further information on Challenges and complaints

If you have problems with Child Benefit, you can contact the Child Benefit Helpline on: 0300 200 3100 by telephone or 0300 200 3103 by textphone.



Reviewed July 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool