You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Income Support - Can I get Income Support?

Income Support helps people who do not have enough to live on. It is only available for certain groups of people.

Can I get Income Support?

Income Support or Universal Credit?

Income Support is being replaced by Universal Credit. Most people are no longer able to make new claims for Income Support. 

If you or your partner are receiving a 'legacy benefit' such as Child Tax Credit or Housing Benefit, you will lose these if you make a claim for Universal Credit. 

The government began moving people from legacy benefits onto Universal Credit in May 2022 and aims to finish moving everyone over by the end of 2024.

Can I get Income Support?

You can still get Income Support if you are on Income Support at present and continue to meet the qualifying conditions, unless you claim Universal Credit.

The qualifying conditions are:

You and your partner (if you have one) must not be in full-time employment (this is 16 or more hours per week for you and 24 or more hours for your partner). You must also fall into at least one of the following categories:

If you are not able to work due to illness or disability and are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, you will have to claim income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit instead of Income Support.

If you are currently getting Income Support because of illness or disability, you will be reassessed at some point to see if you qualify for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) instead. Read more about the ESA reassessment process.

If you have savings or capital over £16,000, you will not be able to get Income Support.

You can find out whether you can still get Income Support by using our Benefits Calculator or by seeking advice. You can find an advice agency in your area by using our Find-an-Adviser tool. Read more about Universal Credit on our website.

Reviewed: May 22

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser