You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) - How do I challenge a Universal Credit (UC) decision?

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people of working-age who are on a low income.

How do I challenge a Universal Credit (UC) decision?

Mandatory reconsideration

If you think a decision made about your Universal Credit entitlement is wrong you can contact Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and ask them to look at the decision again, explaining why you think it is wrong.

This is called 'mandatory reconsideration'. The contact details will be on your decision notice.

You will receive a 'mandatory reconsideration notice' in response. The decision may be changed or you may receive an explanation of why it remains the same.

If you still think the decision is wrong after receiving the mandatory reconsideration notice you can make an appeal to the tribunal.


You can make an appeal to the tribunal by completing a 'Notice of appeal against a decision of the Department for Work and Pensions' form (link opens in a new window) You must have followed the mandatory reconsideration process before appealing. You will be asked for the mandatory reconsideration notice.

If you do want to challenge a decision you can get help with this by contacting a benefits adviser. Use our Find an Adviser tool to locate one in your area.


Updated March 2018


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page