You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Statutory Paternity Pay - Can I get Statutory Paternity Pay?

If you are a working father, or the partner of a woman having a child (including a same-sex partner), you may be able to get Statutory Paternity Pay (SPP).

Can I get Statutory Paternity Pay?

To get Statutory Paternity Pay, you must have been working for the same employer without a break for at least 26 weeks by the 15th week before the baby is due. You must also carry on working for that employer without a break up to the date the child is born or placed with you for adoption.

You must be earning an average of at least £120 a week (before tax). If you have been furloughed because of coronavirus, your earnings should be assessed on what you would usually have earned, and not on the 80% you have been receiving. 

If your partner doesn't use up all their Statutory Maternity or Adoption Leave, and goes back to work, you may be able to take the remainder of their leave to look after your child. You would be paid the remainder of the Statutory Pay or Maternity Allowance that they would have been entitled to.

Updated: October 2021

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser