You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - children - How do I claim Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

Disability Living Allowance is money for children who have care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around).

How do I claim Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

In England or Wales

Phone the Disability Living Allowance helpline for a claim form:

Telephone 0800 121 4600
Textphone 0345 722 4433
Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 6.00 pm

Or you can download a Disability Living Allowance for children claim form on the Gov.UK website

In Northern Ireland

Phone the Disability and Carer’s Service for a claim form:
Telephone: 0800 587 0912
Textphone: 0800 012 1574

Or you can download a Disability Living Allowance child claim form on the NI Direct website

What documents will I need to claim Disability Living Allowance?

You should give your national insurance number. If you do not have a national insurance number, send in the claim form anyway to save delays. You may also be asked for proof of your identity such as a birth certificate, passport or driving licence.

Part of the form must be filled in by someone who knows about your child's disability. This could be a friend, relative or carer.

When will the Disability Living Allowance claim begin?

A claim for DLA cannot be backdated. The date of your claim will be the date you call and ask for a claim form as long as you complete and return it in the time given. If you download a claim form, it will be the date your completed claim form is received.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in circumstance which might affect your child's entitlement to this benefit

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser