You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - children - How much DLA will my child get?

Disability Living Allowance is money for children who have care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around). Age rules: Your child must be under the age of 16. For the low rate mobility component they must be aged over five, and for the high rate mobility component they must be aged over three.

How much DLA will my child get?

There are two parts of Disability Living Allowance. One is the care component if your child has care needs; the other is the mobility component if they have mobility problems. You may just qualify for one part or both.

Care component

This is paid at one of three different weekly rates depending on how much care is needed:

  • Highest rate: £87.65
  • Middle rate: £58.70
  • Lowest rate: £23.20

Mobility component

This is paid at one of two different weekly rates, depending on how difficult it is for you to get around:

  • Higher rate: £61.20
  • Lower rate: £23.20

Benefit Cap

If your child receives Disability Living Allowance, you will be exempt from the Benefit Cap which limits the total amount in some benefits that working-age households can receive. See our Benefit Cap guide for more details.

How will I be paid Disability Living Allowance?

Disability Living Allowance will be paid directly into your Bank, Building Society or Post Office account or by Simple Payment if you are unable to open or manage one of these or a similar account.

Disability Living Allowance is usually paid every four weeks.

Awards of Disability Living Allowance can be made for either fixed or indefinite periods but usually awards (payments) are made for a minimum of six months or longer if you carry on having care needs.

Disability Living Allowance and other benefits

If your child starts to get Disability Living Allowance, it might increase the amount of other benefits or credits you are entitled to. For example, you may get extra Housing Benefit or Child Tax Credit.

Disability Living Allowance is normally ignored as income for working out other benefits.

If your child gets Disability Living Allowance, you might qualify for Carer’s Allowance and for help from the Motability scheme.


There is a scheme called Motability which helps parents to hire a car on behalf of a child who is over three years of age and getting the higher rate mobility part of Disability Living Allowance.

A contract hire scheme for powered wheelchairs or scooters is also offered through Motability.

The hire purchase or lease payments are met by your Disability Living Allowance high rate mobility component which is usually paid direct to Motability.

If you lease the car, then insurance, breakdown cover, and repairs are included. Mileage up to a certain limit is included in the price but after that you have to pay per mile you drive.

For more information, see the Motability website or phone 0300 456 4566.

Updated: April 2019


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants