You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - Can I get Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Find out more about Personal Independence Payments.

Can I get Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

You must have had the daily living and/or mobility needs for at least three months before you claim Personal Independence Payment and expect to have them for at least nine months after. No qualifying period applies if you are terminally ill, or if you are transferring onto Personal Independence Payment from Disability Living Allowance.

Daily living needs

You have daily living needs if you need help to carry out activities concerning daily living, such as cooking, dressing, bathing and engaging socially with other people. Or you must be supervised so you do not get hurt. It could include help outside the home. It does not matter if you do not actually get this help as long as you can show you need it.

Mobility needs

You have mobility needs if you need help to get around independently when you are not at home. This is assessed based on your ability to perform activities concerning mobility. This can be because of a physical or mental disability.  It does not matter if you do not actually get this help, as long as you can show you need it.

Rules for people who have a terminal illness

If you have a terminal illness and your doctors say that you are reasonably expected to die within six months there are special rules which mean you can get the enhanced daily living component of Personal Independence Payment straight away - you do not have to have daily living needs for three months before you claim or expect to have them for nine months after.

You will need to ask your doctor/healthcare professional for a form called a DS1500 and fill in the special rules section of the Personal Independence Payment claim form. If you have difficulty walking, you must also fill in the mobility section of the claim form.

Another person, such as your partner, relative or friend, can apply for Personal Independence Payment on your behalf without your knowledge under the special rules. Even if someone else makes the claim for you, the money will be paid to you.

Updated April 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool