You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) - Additional Elements of Universal Credit (UC)

Find out more about Universal Credit.

Additional Elements of Universal Credit (UC)

Carers Element

You can get this addition of £150.39 per month if you are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week. You do not have to claim Carer's Allowance to get this element.

If you are making a joint claim you can get a carer element each if you both qualify for it, but you cannot be caring for the same severely disabled person.

Child Element

Your Universal Credit will include a child element if you are responsible for a child or qualifying young person who normally lives with you.

You will receive a higher amount for your first or only child, and a lower rate for each of your other children:

  • First or only child: £277.08 per month 

  • Second and other children: £231.67 per month

There are also two disabled child additions. 

  • Disabled child addition of £126.11 per month for each child or qualifying young person that is in receipt of DLA or PIP; or

  • Severely disabled child addition of £367.92 per month if your child or qualifying young person gets the highest rate of the care component of DLA, the enhanced rate for daily living of PIP, or is registered blind

Childcare Costs Element

You can receive this if you pay for registered childcare when you go to work. There is no set number of hours you need to work. If you are part of a couple then both of you must be in work unless the non-working partner:

  • has limited capability for work or limited capability for work related activity, or

  • has regular and substantial caring responsibilities for a severely disabled person, or

  • is temporarily absent from your household (for example, they are in prison/hospital/or residential care)

You will get 70% of your childcare costs met, up to a maximum of £532.29 per month for one child and £912.50 per month for two or more children.

From April 2016 an additional £200m of support will be provided which is equivalent to covering 85% of childcare costs for households where the lone parent or both earners in a couple pay income tax.

Housing costs element

For details about the housing costs element please see our Universal Credit housing costs guide.

Limited Capability for Work Element

You will get one of these if you satisfy the Work Capability Assessment (WCA). See our Universal Credit - Work Capability Assessment information.

You can get either the:

  • limited capability for work element (LCW) £126.11 per month, or

  • limited capability for work related activity element (LCWRA) £315.60 per month 

If you are making a joint claim and you both have LCW or LCWRA, your award will only include one element:

  • If one or both of you have LCWRA you will receive that element
  • If you both have LCW you will receive that element

If you earn more than the equivalent of 16 hours a week, paid at the National Minimum Wage rate, you will not be able to get either of the capability for work elements unless you are also getting Disability Living Allowanceor Personal Independence Payment.

You may have to wait three months for your LCW or LCWRA element to be added on. Though there are some instances where it can be added on straight away such as if you are terminally ill or you were entitled to one of the Employment and Support Allowance components immediately prior to your Universal Credit claim.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool