You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) - How do I claim Universal Credit (UC)?

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people of working-age who are on a low income.

How do I claim Universal Credit (UC)?

If you are getting Severe Disability Premium or are entitled to get it, you will not be able to claim Universal Credit. You can still make new claims for the benefits Universal Credit replaces. If you aren't sure which benefits to claim, use our Benefits Calculator to check what you might be entitled to.

Citizens Advice’s Help to Claim Service can give you advice and information on applying for Universal Credit. They may also be able to give you access to a computer to use to apply and face-to-face support in making your claim.


You can start a claim for Universal Credit on the Apply for Universal Credit page of the Gov.UK website

In most cases, you have to claim Universal Credit online and then attend an interview in person. For more information about making an online claim, read our guide on how to claim Universal Credit.

If you don't have internet access, you might be able to use a computer at your local Jobcentre or local council who can also offer face-to-face advice.


If you have a reason for not being able to apply online, you may be able to claim by phone instead. You can claim by phone if, for example, you can't use a computer or you have problems reading or writing.

To start a claim by phone, call the Universal Credit helpline: 
Telephone: 0800 328 5644 
Welsh language: 0800 012 1888
Textphone: 0800 328 1344

Face to face interview

Once you’ve made your claim you will need to make an appointment to attend a face-to-face interview at the Jobcentre.  You will be given the number to call once you’ve gone through the claim form. 

At the face to face interview, you must agree a claimant commitment. This will set out what you have to do in order to continue to receive Universal Credit. Joint claimants must both agree a claimant commitment in order to receive Universal Credit.

The start date of the claim is the date that the claim is submitted, as long as the claimant commitment is signed.


A claim for Universal Credit can be backdated for a maximum of one month if you or your partner could not have reasonably been expected to make a claim from an earlier date and one of the following circumstances apply to you: 

  • You were previously in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and were not notified that your entitlement was going to end
  • You have a disability 
  • You were unwell and this prevented you from claiming earlier (you will need to provide medical evidence showing this) 
  •  You could not claim earlier due to a system failure or planned system maintenance, and have made a claim on the first day following this 
  • You had a joint claim for Universal Credit which stopped due to a breakdown in a relationship and you are now claiming as a single person
  • You made a joint claim for Universal Credit which was either stopped or turned down because your partner did not accept the claimant commitment and you have now ceased to be a couple and are now claiming as a single person 

For a practical guide to claim online please  read our guide on how to claim Universal Credit.

Updated: June 2019

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page