You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Shielding/Vulnerable to Covid-19

If you're shielding or vulnerable to Covid-19, find out what help might be available to you

Skip to content:


There is different guidance in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for people who are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable to coronavirus:

Guidance on whether or not you should work from home depends on what country in the UK you live in. If you need additional equipment to enable you to work from home, you may be able to get help from the Access to Work scheme.

Employers can put employees who are clinically extremely vulnerable on furlough, even if those people are no longer advised to shield.

If you don't feel safe to go back to work but your employer is not willing to put you on furlough, you could talk to ACAS about your employment rights or ask your doctor if they would be willing to sign you off work as sick.

Use our Benefits Calculator to check what help you can get through the benefits system.


If I don’t go back to my job, can I get benefits?

If you leave your job voluntarily without a good reason, your benefits can sometimes be reduced at the beginning of your claim. This is called a sanction.

There is no single definition of what is a ‘good reason’. When deciding this, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) should take into account your health, any impact of the job on your physical and mental health, and your caring responsibilities.

If you do get sanctioned for leaving your job, you might be able to challenge this. You should get advice.

Will I have to go into the jobcentre if I claim benefits?

If you make a claim for benefits, you might have to go for a meeting at the jobcentre. Talk to the DWP about your needs and ask what they have in place to keep you safe at the jobcentre.

Related information

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged 16 to pension age that helps with the additional costs of living with a disability.

Attendance Allowance is a benefit for people aged over pension age that helps with the additional costs of living with a disability.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit for people aged under 16 that helps with the additional costs of living with a disability.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit for people whose illness means they can’t work and who have paid national insurance contributions in the past 2 years.

Universal Credit is a benefit which tops up people’s incomes to help them have enough to afford their basic needs.


To find out what help may be available from grant giving charities, you can use the Turn2us Grants Search.

Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. To find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with you can use our Find an Adviser.

Find out what your employer should be doing to make sure your workplace is safe

Updated July 2021

Search for Grants

Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool

Worried about being evicted?

Find out where to get more information and advice.

Find out more about evictions