You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Sick with Coronavirus (Covid-19)

If you are sick with Covid-19, there may be benefits, grants or other financial support available to you.

Skip to content:

Sick Pay

If you are an employee and you usually earn at least £120 per week (£520 per month), you should be able to get Statutory Sick Pay from your employer. This is paid at £96.35 per week.

If your contract allows for contractual sick pay, you might get more than this.


New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you are self employed or you are an employee but you earn less than £120 per week, you might be able to get New Style Employment and Support Allowance while you are off sick. Whether you can get it, will depend on your national insurance contributions in 2018/19 and 2019/20.

Means-tested benefits

If your income drops while you’re off work, you might be able to get help from means-tested benefits.

Use our Benefits Calculator, entering the amount of earnings you expect to get in the upcoming month (e.g. if you’re using the calculator on 12th September, enter all the earnings you expect to get up to 11th October.)

If your earnings turn out to be different to what you had expected, you won’t get into any trouble. Your benefits will be adjusted for your earnings. 

Grants for self isolation

If you are losing money because you can't work and you can't work from home, you might be able to get a grant for self isolation to help you. The rules for the grants are different depending on where in the UK you live.

Charitable grants

To find out what help may be available from grant-giving charities, you can use our Grants Search.

Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. To find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with, you can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser.

For information on Coronavirus related issues, see Gov.UK: Coronavirus guidance and Support