You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Young People and benefits - Ill or disabled young people

If you are aged under 18 (or under 20 in some circumstances), there may be extra rules to meet to get benefits. If you cannot get benefits in your own right, someone else, such as a parent or guardian, may be able to claim amounts for you within the benefits they get.

Ill or disabled young people

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can claim Employment and Support Allowance if you have limited capability for work and meet the other qualifying conditions for the benefit

However, you cannot usually get Employment and Support Allowance if you are studying in relevant education or if you are a full-time student – see our Studying (aged 16+) section for more information.

You can qualify for Employment and Support Allowance in education though if you receive Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment

From your 16th birthday you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment.(PIP) for yourself (instead of a parent/guardian claiming for you) if you have care and/or mobility needs. It can be paid on top of any other benefits you receive.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants