You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.


Use our Search tool to look for information on our website.

To do an exact search please enter a search term in the box below and click "Search".

2,000 results

  • Benefit Changes Timetable 2019

    Please note that information about some of these changes may be limited at present and also subject to further change. Although some will happen quickly, others may be introduced gradually over several years. If you are worried about how you may be affected you should discuss...

  • Universal Credit (UC) roll-out 2019

    The rolling out of the  full digital service of Universal Credit to all areas of the country was completed on 12 December 2018 for new claims or for people having to make a new claim due to a change of circumstance. The government plans to start transferring a few people from...

  • Can I get legacy benefits?

    It is no longer possible to make new claims for legacy benefits but if you are already getting them you can carry on getting them as a foster carer. If you are already getting Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), you can carry on getting it a...

  • Can I claim Pension Credit?

    If you are over Pension Credit age and are a foster carer, you may be able to claim Pension Credit. All of the money you get as fostering allowance should be ignored when working out how much Pension Credit you can get. You won’t be able to get any extra money in your Pension...

  • Can I claim Contributory/New Style Employment and Support Allowance or Jobseeker's Allowance?

    Usually, you cannot claim contributory/New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) if you are working. If you are working as a foster carer, this will not be treated as work, so you should be able to claim contributory/New Style JSA or ESA ...

  • Can I claim Universal Credit?

    As long as you satisfy the other eligibility rules, you can claim Universal Credit if you are a foster carer. All of the money you get as fostering allowance should be ignored when working out how much Universal Credit you can get. If you are getting help with your housing co...

  • Help with Childcare Costs when Studying

    If you are in education, you may be able to get help with childcare costs.  See the Gov. UK website for help with childcare costs when studying to find out about Discretionary Learner Support, Learn to Care payments and Childcare Grants.  

  • Apprentices: Work-related requirements under Universal Credit

    If you are getting Universal Credit you will be asked to agree a claimant commitment. If you are doing an apprenticeship for more than 30 hours a week, you shouldn’t be asked to do any work-related activity. This means you won’t need to look for more work or have meetings at ...

  • What if I don't agree with a decision about a Young Carer Grant?

    If you don’t agree with a decision on your claim for a Young Carer Grant, you should read the decision letter carefully to see how to challenge the decision. You might want to get help from an independent adviser to help you to challenge the decision.

  • What is a Young Carer Grant - Scotland?

    The Young Carer Grant is money for young carers who live in Scotland. It is only available to people who live in Scotland. If you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, read our Young People and Benefits guide to see if there is other help you might be able to get.