You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Mental health and welfare benefits

  • 07/10/2019

This article is over a year old

What are you entitled to?

young woman sitting on floor

If you struggle with your mental health, you may be entitled to a range of welfare benefits.

Disabilities caused by mental health problems are supposed to be treated the same as physical disabilities in the benefits system.

The benefits you may be entitled to include:

If your mental health makes you too unwell to work; you are on a low income; or have care or mobility needs, you may be able to make a claim for one of these benefits.

If you have a work coach, you should make sure they know about any difficulties you have with your mental health. They should make reasonable adaptations for you. If they don’t, you should speak to an adviser.

Hopefully the answers to the frequently asked questions (FAQs) below will answer some of your questions.

What is the difference between these benefits?

If your mental health means you aren’t able to work or it is making it too hard for you to work full time, you might be able to get benefits to top up your income. Universal Credit is a benefit for anyone with low or no income.

There is extra money payable in Universal Credit and extra support available if your illness makes it hard for you to work. If your illness is making it too hard for you to work full time and you have been working in the past two to three years, you might be able to claim New Style Employment and Support Allowance.

If your illness is making it hard for you to manage at home or means that you need care or support managing day-to-day tasks, you might be able to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (if you are under pension age) or Attendance Allowance (if you are over pension age).

How much will I get?

To find out how much you might be able to claim, use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator.

To find out if you might be able to get Personal Independence Payment (PIP), use the c-app PIP Assessment Support website.

To find out if you might be able to get Attendance Allowance, speak to an adviser.

How can I claim these benefits?

Once you know what you are entitled to, you should make a claim. Each benefit has different application criteria.

How do I challenge a decision?

If you think a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP decision is wrong, you may be able to have the decision looked at again and/or appeal against the decision.

Read our guide on how to challenge a benefits decision

Other support

You can also use the Turn2us Grants Search to search for any charitable grants you may be eligible for.

If you are struggling with your metal health, contact a mental health charity like Mind for general support and information.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page