You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Discretionary Housing Payment - How do I challenge a Discretionary Housing Payment decision?

Discretionary Housing Payment is a payment you may receive at the discretion of your local authority which can help towards housing costs. You can only get it if you are entitled to Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit.

How do I challenge a Discretionary Housing Payment decision?

You can ask your local council to review its decision. You should receive the new decision and any reasons in writing.

There is no right of appeal against a Discretionary Housing Payment decision but occasionally you may be able to apply for a Judicial Review in the High Court. You will need to seek legal advice on this.

If you are unhappy with how your claim was handled, you can make a formal complaint to the council. If you still think your complaint has not been handled correctly, you should contact the local government ombudsman.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser