You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Discretionary Housing Payment - How do I claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Discretionary Housing Payment is a payment you may receive at the discretion of your local authority which can help towards housing costs. You can only get it if you are entitled to Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit.

How do I claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

A claim for a Discretionary Housing Payment is different to a claim for Housing Benefit.

You should ask your local council how to make a claim. They may accept claims in writing, over the telephone or electronically.


Sometimes it is hard to find the page with this information on the council website. You can type into Google Search the words "(name of council)" + Discretionary Housing Payment. Different councils will have different named schemes, for example, Islington Council has a Resident Support Scheme. 

So an example would be a Google search - "Birmingham city council discretionary housing payment" - which would take you directly to that page.

What documents will I need to claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Each local authority will have its own claim form but the following documents will usually be required to support a claim:

  • Your most recent payslip if you are working

  • Your partner's most recent payslip (if you have a partner and they are working)

  • Bank account statements covering the last two months (and partner's)

  • Proof of any loan or credit card or hire purchase repayment agreements

  • Any letters you have received from the landlord about rent arrears

  • Proof of any expenses that are especially high

  • If you are ill, recent medical evidence.

When will my Discretionary Housing Payment claim begin?

There are no rules on backdating. It is up to your local authority whether any award will be backdated and for how long.

Change of circumstances

You are required to notify your local council of any changes of circumstances which may be relevant to you continuing to receive Discretionary Housing Payments. You will be told about the changes you should report.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser