You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Hardship Payments - Employment and Support Allowance Hardship Payments

Hardship Payments are reduced-rate payments of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit (UC) that are made in limited circumstances, including if you have been sanctioned.

Employment and Support Allowance Hardship Payments

Only people who would usually get income-related Employment and Support Allowance (i-ESA) can get a Hardship Payment.

You may be able to get hardship payments of i-ESA if your ESA is being paid at a reduced (or nil) rate.

If you are getting contribution-based ESA (c-ESA), you may also be able to make a claim for Hardship Payments in limited circumstances. If you are in this position, you should seek advice.

You can qualify for Hardship Payments of i-ESA if:

  • you have been sanctioned for failing to take part in a work-focused interview or for failing to undertake work-related activity; or
  • you have committed a benefit offence; and
  • you, your partner or a child (must usually be getting Child Benefit for the child) for whom you or your partner are responsible would experience hardship if payments were not made.
Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser