You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Hardship Payments - How do I claim Employment and Support Allowance Hardship Payments?

Hardship Payments are reduced-rate payments of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit (UC) that are made in limited circumstances, including if you have been sanctioned.

How do I claim Employment and Support Allowance Hardship Payments?

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus office for an 'Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) Hardship Payment application form' and fully explain your grounds for applying for a Hardship Payment.

If you are only getting contributory ESA, you will also need to complete form ESA3 to establish your entitlement to income-related ESA.. If you are getting New Style ESA, you won't be able to get an ESA Hardship Payment but you might be able to get a Universal Credit Hardship Payment.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser