You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Job Start Payment - Scotland - How do I challenge a Job Start Payment - Scotland?

Payments for young people in Scotland moving into work

How do I challenge a Job Start Payment - Scotland?


If you don't agree with a decision on your Job Start Payment claim, you must first ask for a redetermination.

You should be sent a form with the decision letter that you can use to request a redetermination. 

In general, you need to request a redetermination within 31 days of receiving the original decision. If you miss this time limit, you can still request a redetermination. However, you will have to explain why you missed the time limit.


If you are still unhappy with the decision after the redetermination, you can appeal to the First Tier Tribunal. This is an independent court that will look again at the decision and decide whether or not it was correct. Tribunals are not very formal and you don't have to have a lawyer to represent you

Your redetermination decision should give you information on how to appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.

Appeals can be complicated, so it is a good idea to speak to an adviser.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser