You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Overpayments under the Universal Credit system - What if I don't think I've been overpaid?

Read our guide to overpayments under the Universal Credit system and what to do about them.

What if I don't think I've been overpaid?

If you do not agree that you have been overpaid, you can ask for this to be looked at again and appeal against the decision. See our Challenging Decisions information.

You might need to ask the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to explain exactly how they have worked out the amount of overpayment.

If you think the benefits office may have got the amounts or the dates wrong, you should contact them and let them know what you think they have got wrong.

If you have any evidence that can show they have made a mistake, you should send copies of it to the benefits office. 

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser