You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Self employment and benefits - Do I need to register as self employed?

If you or your partner are working, or thinking of starting work, as a self employed person you might qualify for welfare benefits to top up your income.

The benefits you are entitled to will depend on a number of things, including your age, the number of hours you work and how much you earn.

Do I need to register as self employed?

If you become newly self employed you should register for self assessment with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and tell them that you are now self employed. This can be done online via HMRC's online services (link opens in a new window). This information will not automatically be passed on to the Tax Credit office or any other agency for the purposes of working out what benefits may be available to you.

There is no single registration process when it comes to self employment and benefits.

If you are already receiving benefits, becoming self employed will usually count as a change of circumstances and you should inform the relevant agencies as soon as possible.

If you are making new claims, you will do so as a self employed person and will provide the relevant information during the claim process.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants