You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Shared Parental Leave and Pay - How do I make a claim?

If you and your partner are expecting a child, you can choose to share some of your parental leave and pay.

How do I make a claim?

Statutory Shared Parental Pay (SSPP) is claimed from and paid by an employer.

Your partner must apply to their own employer if they also want Shared Parental Leave (SPL) or Statutory Shared Parental Pay (SSPP).

You can only start (SPL) or (SSPP) once the child has been born or placed for adoption and the person getting adoption leave or pay does one of the following:

  • Ends any maternity or adoption leave by returning to work

  • Gives their employer ‘binding notice’ (a decision that can’t normally be changed) of the date when they plan to end any maternity or adoption leave.

An employer must be given written notice which must be at least eight weeks before the date that you want to start SPL or SSPP. You can give notice for leave and pay at the same time if you’re eligible to get both.

You can book up to three separate blocks of SPL instead of taking it all in one go, even if you aren’t sharing the leave with your partner.

You must tell your employer about your plans for leave when you apply. You can change your mind later about your plans or how much SPL or SSPP you plan to take and when you want to take it. You must give notice of any changes at least eight weeks before the start of any leave.

You can give notice using forms for Shared Parental Leave and Statutory Shared Parental Pay created by the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) (link opens in new window)

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser