You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Short Term Benefit Advance - How do I challenge a Short Term Benefit Advance decision?

A Short-Term Benefit Advance is paid as a loan, which has to be paid back out of your future benefit payments.

How do I challenge a Short Term Benefit Advance decision?

When you get the decision you can ask for a reconsideration if you believe the decision maker has not considered the correct information. If you do this, another decision maker should look at the decision based on the correct information.

There is no right of appeal against:

  • The amount of a Short Term Benefit Advance

  • A refusal to offer a Short Term Benefit Advance.

If you believe the correct process wasn't followed when the decision was made then it may be possible to challenge the decision through the courts by a process called judicial review. You will need to seek specialist advice if you feel this is the case. You can use our Find an Adviser tool to locate an adviser in your area.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser